Physics, like other areas of science, is ever evolving. Discoveries continue that explain phenomenon that may have existed or are new. And, these changes and discoveries are happening faster than ever. If Physics interests you, we have compiled a list of the biggest breakthroughs in Physics in 2020.
Hope you learn something new!
- Higgs Decay: The first Higgs particle was detected in 2012 at the LHC, Cern, Geneva. It is also known as “God’s Particle”. Now, scientists at LHC have also observed the ultra-rare phenomenon of the decay of the Higgs Boson into two elementary particles. These particles are called muons. The discovery has advanced the knowhow of the Standard Model of Particle Physics.
- Quantum Teleportation: Scientists at the Fermilab in the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science national laboratory have successfully teleported data via entangled photons. The fidelity is reported to be greater than 90% and over a distance of 44 kms (~~27 miles). Technically, quantum teleportation uses entangled photons to transfer a quantum bit from one location to another in that instant. Now, scientists are working toward building a quantum internet that will be super-fast.
- Detection of Sun-Made Neutrinos: In 2020, physicists detected neutrinos that can be traced to carbon-nitrogen-oxygen fusion inside the sun for the first time ever. In fact, this finding is considered one of the greatest discoveries in physics of the current millennium. The scientists used ultrasensitive Borexino detector. The detection was conducted at the INFN’s Gran Sasso particle physics laboratory in central Italy, the largest underground research center in the world.
- X(6900) Tretraquark Detection: In addition to Higgs Decay, LHC & CERN also discovered a new particle called a “tetraquark.” These particles are not new per se, however, the latest tetraquark, also known as X(6900), is made up entirely of “heavy quarks.” It is interesting because it is made up of four quarks of the same kind wherein usually, protons and neutrons at the nucleus of an atom are generally made up of three quarks. The discovery contributes towards advancing our understanding of atomic physics.
- Measuring a Moment: In 2020, physicists in Germany set a record for the shortest measured unit of time. They measured how long it takes for a photon to traverse a hydrogen molecule. The final measurement shared by them was 247 zeptoseconds or 247 trillionths of a billionth of a second.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog and acquired new information about the world of Physics.
Physics tutor online at Ur Tutor
If you’re a student who needs help with their Physics homework or just want to learn more about a specific topic, reach us at Ur Tutor today!
Just fill the form on this page and choose a slot for a physics tutor online.